Coin operated stereo viewers

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
wembleylion

The Stereoscope Viewer

Post by wembleylion »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Whilst visiting The Grange Musical Museum's Fairground Organ Day near Diss, Norfolk on Sunday I spotted this viewer. It was on top of a player piano so difficult to photograph.
Attachments
Viewer The Stereoscope.JPG
Viewer The Stereoscope 2.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Coin operated stereo viewers

Post by pennymachines »

Instruction card aside, I wonder if this was originally a domestic, rather than a coin-operated, viewer. Did you notice where the slot was located?
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

pennymachines wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:33 pm Instruction card aside, I wonder if this was originally a domestic, rather than a coin-operated, viewer. Did you notice where the slot was located?

Sorry no, the top of the piano was at head height so I could not see the top of the viewer at all. They were very busy with the fairground organs so I couldn't find anyone to get it down. I'm hoping to go back to the museum in November, it will be less busy then, and will ask if they can get it down for me to get a better look at it and get some photos.
sentimental salvage

Post by sentimental salvage »

I have a few of this type. I believe they may have been made in South Australia. There again, I may be wrong. 😂
Attachments
589726C3-1DED-440D-BD97-DBE9DD01FD6Da.jpg
6D25131C-82C2-4AD8-90D1-C27DA5D213C2a.jpg
jetsetjester

Post by jetsetjester »

Just revisiting this fantastic thread with so much great information contributed by everyone.

An amazing find sentimental salvage. Given one of the machines shows pre-decimal currency, it would not have been operated since before 1966. Constantly amazed what turns up here in Australia.

As a matter of interest has the colour faded in the images in the machines, or is it still good??
sentimental salvage

Post by sentimental salvage »

Hi Jetsetjester, the images are still pretty clear and not faded. I have a box full of spare images too. Also another seven of these viewers that have not been restored yet.