Aristocrat Starlite - won’t payout

General vintage slot machine related topics.
coppinpr

Re: Aristocrat Starlite - won’t payout

Post by coppinpr »

Looks very much like you're right about the lineup, all the areas marked "A" below should stop lined up and be held in place by "B" at the end of the cycle. (In my photo I've indicated the edge to the left of the correct position that needs to be moved but it could just as easily be the edge to the right. I can't tell without seeing how they line up when adjusted). I think you need to adjust the nylon cog on the far left reel, although strangely I've never had one of these later ones with the nylon cog. I assume it's easy to adjust. This might lead to the symbols being out of line but the machine paying out correctly, but that's another adjustment and can be done once the machine is paying out correctly.

You mention that some of the teeth are missing on these cogs. This can happen, but it was also a common way for operators to reduce the number of winners: file off the teeth and that reel position can never come up.

The payouts on the award card seem to indicate that the three offending slides MIGHT need to be joined together.
Attachments
75B4AC8B-1F65-4DDA-BEAD-14BC9EDA8B7Fa.jpg
condense

Post by condense »

Thank you for your very helpful posts - I really do appreciate them. The brake levers appear straight.

When I line up the areas that you marked A it is clear to me that the left nylon cog wheel is out of alignment with the other 2 ( the pictures on the wheel are also not aligned)
So my query now is how to realign them as the nylon cog cannot move independently of the wheel. Is there a way to make the cog and wheel move independently of the disc with the holes in it for the payout levers (sorry I don’t know the part name)
Would it be to undo the bolts in the first picture?
Attachments
B0A99659-D91B-4E7D-8695-EE46D28CE025a.jpg
90646237-5FED-46B6-8D0F-76358BD4CBC4a.jpg
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

condense wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:24 pm Thank you for your very helpful posts - I really do appreciate them. The brake levers appear straight.

When I line up the areas that you marked A it is clear to me that the left nylon cog wheel is out of alignment with the other 2 ( the pictures on the wheel are also not aligned)
So my query now is how to realign them as the nylon cog cannot move independently of the wheel. Is there a way to make the cog and wheel move independently of the disc with the holes in it for the payout levers (sorry I don’t know the part name)
Would it be to undo the bolts in the first picture?
Yes. slacken the two bolts in the first pic, make sure the reel symbols are lined up, then you can move the payout disc to the correct position to allow payout.
condense

Post by condense »

Thank you all so much. I have managed to realign them. Fortunately the wheel has 2 low payouts right next to each other and so I was able to match this with the position of the holes on the side piece and even better have managed to get a small payout - even with my slides still in rough condition. I can’t thank you enough!
I still need to clean and polish the slides. Should the top ones screw together? I just wondered if they need springs as well - I currently only have springs for the bottom 3.

I would like to rebuild the nylon cogs and so was considering building them up with araldite - I can’t think of another way to do it. Any chance anyone has a more sensible way to do it?

Sorry to ask further questions - I am really grateful for all of the support so far - what an incredible forum - thank you
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Your machine is limited to 10 coin payout, so only the lower three slides are used. Someone has removed the pins, but also the fingers for high payouts above 10 will have been adjusted on the upper fingers. Whether a spring is needed or not will depend on whether there is strength in the others to move the top three slides.

The plastic cogs are a pain in the arse and one of the flaws on Aristocrats and do break or get brittle over time. I understand they moved to these to help with the claim to be one of the quietest machines to use. My view - you will need to replace the broken ones…
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Tom may be right about the 10 limit but it might not be the case. Your machine has had operator changes made over the years and it's left it a bit confused. You can easily check it out.
The award card is what causes the confusion; it says "BONUS". This could mean one of three things: it's just there to look good, the machine used to have a bonus payout, or it still has a bonus payout.

This gets even more confusing when the award card says "A A A +10". Does this mean it pays 10, pays something +10, or used to say before being altered "A A A 10 +10?
My guess is it's the last option, and the first "10" has been removed from the award card. This, I think, would make sense of the slides. The bottom three are a "5", a "3" and a "2", so they can handle the 3,5, and 10 normal payouts. The other three are also a 5,3,2, but were once joined together to make a single "10" and this was only used if A A A came up firing the bottom three slides for the 10 as well as joined slides to pay the 10 bonus.

So what does this mean to you when setting up the payouts of the machine? This will be partly up to you and partly depending on how the bonus feature was removed. If you want to ignore the 10 bonus, simply don't put springs on the top three slides and the machine should pay as per the award card. If you wish to reinstate the 10 bonus, this will depend on what the operator removed when downgrading the payouts. If the vertical and horizontal fingers are still in place (I can see the verticals are still there so the chances are the horizontals are as well) and none of the holes in the payout discs have been welded/covered up, then all you need to do is join the top three slides back together, add springs to at least the top and bottom slides of the joined up set and change the award card to 10 +10. So the first thing to do is check what is there and what's not and decide if you want the bonus if it's still available.
condense

Post by condense »

Thank you for the comprehensive replies - that’s really helpful.
I think I will leave the slide set up as it is for now and save that for a later date.
The cogs on the other hand are in quite a bad way with many of the teeth broken. It seems that part is very hard to obtain and I have drawn a blank. I have found somewhere that thinks they can 3D print some for me so I am going to give that a try:
Thank you all so much for your help
condense

Post by condense »

Wow - you are right about the payout card having been changed - I can’t tell what was under it before as it has been painted over though. Thank you the slides make sense to me now!