E/M Bally bandits

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
coppinpr

Re: Bally Lucky Stars Bulb replacement

Post by coppinpr »

Could we see a better photo of the lower half of the inside of the door. Brigham may well be correct, but this is quite a late model with the two piece front door castings. It might be that the bolts holding the belly glass housing are attached sideways, not front facing. Can't quite see from the photo. Bally never got this right. They seemed to think the tubes would last forever. Even the very early models needed screwdrivers and careful extraction. Removing the glass itself is even harder. Because it's never been opened, it will be dirty in there. A clean of the glass will work wonders but take care - the long term heat in that confined box will have had its effect on the artwork.
pennywise

Re: Bally Lucky Stars Bulb replacement

Post by pennywise »

oranandrews wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:09 pmNobody ???
I have nearly rebuilt mine back up and on the bottom casting there are 2 or 3 small screws either side which you have to take out, 1 screw either side of the coin mech which hold it onto the front and you may have to take the coin mech off depending on the wire length. Once free the glass front surround (see pic) should slide up leaving the bottom part of the surround in place, this may need a little help if never been off.
Hope this helps.
Attachments
20190317_183527a.jpg
markadkins4

Bally Lucky Stars arm stuck

Post by markadkins4 »

Hi,
Can anyone help please? I have this Bally Lucky Stars. Turns out not so lucky for me. Bought it working; got it home 250 miles later; set it up - can't pull the arm. Had a little look into it and the problem seems to be a magnet that's controlled by power to it under an arm on the inside. You drop your 2p in that triggers a switch that powers this magnet. Well, I have had the magnet out, put power to it - 12v DC, it works fine. There's power when it's fitted to the machine, but no magnet working to pull the release plate away. Will add pictures if needed. I'm in Boston, Lincs. If there's anyone near who knows plus I have a pinball also needs work. If anyone out there, it's a Williams 1975 Toledo. If not, help here would be great,
cheers |/XX\|
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Bally Lucky Stars arm stuck

Post by pennymachines »

:WELCOME:
We have few members who're knowledgeable about them, but you might get a quicker response at http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php, which focuses more on these later machines.
There's a thread about a stuck Bally handle here.

Other useful forums are https://www.fruitemu.co.uk/ and http://www.ukvac.com/forum/
markadkins4

Re: Bally Lucky Stars arm stuck

Post by markadkins4 »

Thanks pennymachines. Interesting links. Seems I'm not the only one. Same problem i think. It needs to be looked at on the electrical side of it I believe.
garythegolfer

Bally 776 Super Gold Award Bandit

Post by garythegolfer »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

I just wondered if some kind soul could point me in the direction of a service manual/parts list for a Bally Super Gold Award one arm bandit. I believe, but am not certain that the model number is 776 (a variant of the "standard" Gold Award bandit).

Thank you in Advance.
GaryTheGolfer
treefrog

Re: Bally 776 Super Gold Award Bandit

Post by treefrog »

No idea on 776. I have a few guides not covering this model. Mine are already available online: Electro-mechanical Bally bandit service manuals
Attachments
B95FED85-17D4-4302-ADB9-43148E321790.jpeg
garythegolfer

Re: Bally 776 Super Gold Award Bandit

Post by garythegolfer »

Thank you for your fast reply and the manual. As it happens I had already trawled the internet and found this manual. Sadly it doesn't cover the 776. However I'm fairly sure a lot of the information will be common between the em varieties. In the meantime, the search goes on.....

Thanks again for helping.
G
sparkymike

Bally fruit machine questions

Post by sparkymike »

Hi,
I am renovating a fruit machine for a neighbour. I have a few questions that hopefully someone may know the answer to.
A) What model is it and make? All the inside parts are Bally but I wondered if this machine was sold in the UK under a different trade name.
B) There are several different small light bulbs in the door. What type and what voltage should they be?
C) The solenoid has burn out on the coin drum sorter. This is 110 volt and I believe only used to kick coins off the top of the drum.
Where can I find a replacement or will I have to re-wind the coil?
Thanks Mike.
photo below (I hope)
Attachments
IMG_7661a.jpg
IMG_7661a.jpg (250.75 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
coppinpr

Re: Bally fruit machine questions

Post by coppinpr »

Hi, and welcome to the site. This machine is, perhaps, a bit too modern for most on this site. We tend towards the mechanical rather than the electro-mechanical, and most of us stay well clear of any machine with a coin hopper (the work of the devil) but I'm sure someone here will help with the problems. I can tell you it is a Bally, a quite late model developed from their groundbreaking "Money Honey" series.

Most likely the glasses were changed by a UK distributor who would have also changed the coin denomination for UK use. If I remember correctly, the power comes in at 240v and is transformed down to 110v use in the machine (but please check this as I'm not certain). The electronics in the top box have a tendency to not age well. :cool:

cheeky

Re: Bally fruit machine questions

Post by cheeky »

sparkymike wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:56 pm I am renovating a fruit machine for a neighbour.
Hi Mike,

Can you see if the model is 1168? If so, a Lucky Stars machine was made by Bally (built in Ireland) in 1978. I remember seeing these machines on mass around that time so I don’t think it was a conversion. As for the techie stuff, I can’t help any further.

Cheers…
sparkymike

Re: Bally Lucky Stars

Post by sparkymike »

Hi,
thanks for the reply. There is a large transformer in the back of the box but I will be checking that to make sure it is dropping the voltage to 115 for the various solenoids. If not, then maybe that is why the kicker solenoid burnt out.

Yes, the coin hopper leaves a bit to be desired. I would have preferred to work on something no later than the '60s myself, but am only doing this as a favour for the neighbour. Bulbs now sorted. I need more information on the hopper unit now as the roller which is supposed to be lifted by a coin is not lifting enough to latch the gear onto the next cog.
Maybe there will be one on You tube being stripped. I will check.
Mike.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Bally Lucky Stars

Post by pennymachines »

This chap demonstrates the Bally hopper and reel mech.

garythegolfer

Bally Super Gold Award : Coin meters source?

Post by garythegolfer »

Now that I have a Bally 776 Super Gold Award bandit, I would like to complete it by sourcing the missing 3 counters ("Coins in", "Coins out" and "Gold awards out"). The Bally part numbers are 2 off e-130-10 an 1off e-130-13.

The picture below illustrates the parts (on another bandit):
Bally Counters 2.JPG
Bally Counters 2.JPG (30.14 KiB) Viewed 1108 times

Does anyone know where I might be able to source these 3 counters?
Many Thanks
lawright1125

Bally

Post by lawright1125 »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Hi please excuse my novice comments. But I have a Bally one armed bandit and it’s not paying out correctly.

Any idea how much the machine is worth, not paying out correctly?

Where I can take it to get it fixed?

How much would it be worth fixed?

All answers, any help appreciated?
Attachments
E270A81F-A05B-488A-814D-6E7BD8913311a.jpg
E270A81F-A05B-488A-814D-6E7BD8913311a.jpg (228.02 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
9C8F8634-100B-4E65-AD9C-EC49448FD507a.jpg
9C8F8634-100B-4E65-AD9C-EC49448FD507a.jpg (147.05 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
F5ECD596-046A-42CE-9E7A-532A9118D89Da.jpg
F5ECD596-046A-42CE-9E7A-532A9118D89Da.jpg (217.22 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
FFD99A7C-BA09-44F2-A921-0DDB2BF42BE2a.jpg
FFD99A7C-BA09-44F2-A921-0DDB2BF42BE2a.jpg (254.56 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
F7F031B5-EFBD-4991-A5FA-96B45AD23E87a.jpg
F7F031B5-EFBD-4991-A5FA-96B45AD23E87a.jpg (204.93 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
DE6F330F-BC56-4C90-8D2E-FC2535867CB8a.jpg
DE6F330F-BC56-4C90-8D2E-FC2535867CB8a.jpg (153.65 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
coppinpr

Re: Bally

Post by coppinpr »

Problem is, your machine is a very late model compared to what we like best on this forum. Not that we won't help or show interest. People will, but for many, it has problems we don't like. Mostly it uses a hopper payout, These are later inventions and the work of the devil. Whereas the older slide payouts go on forever...hoppers have a habit of breaking down and being hard to fix. To be honest if, for example, you put this on eBay and listed it as having a hopper and not paying out you would really only go to someone looking for spares. Of course, it might not even be the hopper, but try telling the potential buyer that. If you can fix it yourself, then all well and good. It will sell, but always the spectre of a hopper hanging over it (well actually, underneath it). :cool:
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Hey Lawright, I think your best bet is to find a local person who repairs electro-mechanical pinball machines. They will know this technology back to front. I'm pretty sure this style Bally were all E/M. I repaired one 30 years ago and they are well built. That had typical issues of dried up grease and dirty wiper blades etc, After a 20 min clean it was all going, but of course that machine was only about 30 years old at the time, now nearly 60, so more issues are going to come up like disintegrating plastics etc. Worth having someone look at it first just to see if it's going to be simple or more complex. There are parts suppliers in the US for these. Good luck.
lawright1125

Post by lawright1125 »

Thanks for your replies guys. Does anyone know of anyone in the Essex area that repairs electro mechanical machines?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I posted some videos recently, showing the hopper payout here. There's another long topic on Bally EM bandits here
But unless you're competent working with mains voltage electrics, these are best left to those that are.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Never done one of these before. EM pinball machines and other EM amusement stuff is usually my main thing but would have been happy to take a look. Sadly I’m in Newcastle on Tyne which prob means it’s out the question unless you happen to travel up here on business or something.