Need help with Spiritalist Room Working model

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
james eno

Need help with Spiritalist Room Working model

Post by james eno »

Hello,
I was curious of two things if anyone could help. I am in the process of restoring a working model and wondered what purpose the small rectangle shaped black box that runs between the start switch and the 220v motor serves. I get the same volts whether I adjust the top knob all the way left or right.

Second question. One of the main rods in the gear mechanism appears to have busted off at some point. I can see where a partial hole is through the rod. Did this have a cotter pin or was there possibly another gear or lever? I enclosed reference pics to explain what I see.

If anyone happens to have pics of a complete mech unit I would be grateful for any help on these issues... One last request now that I'm thinking about it. There was a small plate on front of cabinet below the glass held on with four small nails... I assume a company ID tag. Would a pic of one be available so I can have one made? Thank you in advance for any assistance you could provide.
Attachments
spiralist-6a.jpg
spiralist-room-3a.jpg
spiralist-room-2a.jpg
Spiralist-room-1a.jpg
spiralist-5a.jpg
spiralist-4a.jpg
moonriver

Re: Need help with Spiritalist Room Working model

Post by moonriver »

Lovely! a working model post. The rectangular box is the rheostat which should speed up and slow down the motor so the model runs at the right speed. Quite easy to get another if it's not working correctly.

The machine is made by Kraft, the missing plate on the front probably the operator (such as Ruffler and Walker, or could have been a local company. Personally I'd wait for an original one to turn up, they do from time to time on eBay or ask on 'Wanted' here.

This model doesn't run in any particular sequence, so manually operate the movements inside and see which isn't working above, then you can remedy it.

Spiritualist Rooms are one of the more common Kraft models so won't be difficult to get a pic you're requesting (mine a distance away on site). It wouldn't be the end of the world to piggy back the missing rod or pull cord to one of the other cams and no one would notice within the model.

Don't be tempted to do a 'showman's restoration' and overpaint or ruin the original model.
Keep us up to speed with how it goes!
james eno

Any help with pic of Spiritualist Room maker plate?

Post by james eno »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hello,
Trying to find a picture of what the tag above the door lock looked like. Any pics or even what it said would be greatly appreciated...
Attachments
spirit-room-tag1a.jpg
spirit-room-tag2a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Any help with pic of Spiritualist Room maker plate?

Post by pennymachines »

This would appear to be your badge, on a Kraft Aladdin and his Lamp (p79, Penny-In-The-Slot Automata & The Working Model, D Hesketh).

Anyone recognize it? I'm assuming Kraft Automatics, but could be R&W.
Attachments
AladdinLamp.jpg
ALCU.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Appears to be Shefras anodized badge on your photo PM. Here's two I have.
Attachments
shefras-badgesa.jpg
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

pennymachines wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:24 pm This would appear to be your badge, on a Kraft Aladdin and his Lamp (p79, Penny-In-The-Slot Automata & The Working Model, D Hesketh).

Anyone recognize it? I'm assuming Kraft Automatics, but could be R&W.
It's Kraft, currently in York Castle Museum
Attachments
IMG_4810a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

moonriver wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:14 pm It's Kraft, currently in York Castle Museum
I meant the badge, not the machine, but thank you both - we have the answer. So Philip Shefras Ltd. distributed Kraft models.
james eno

Re: Need help with Spiritalist Room Working model

Post by james eno »

Thank you for the pics and info...