Oliver Whales?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
mnop

Oliver Whales?

Post by mnop »

Hi all,

I recently inherited this allwin machine and was curious about its origin. After a bit of research, I learned the backflash matches the Oliver Whales U-Select-It machine, however there's no marquee which makes me think this might be a reproduction of some kind? Any way to tell if it's an actual Oliver Whales machine? I've included pictures of the inside and also a picture of something that's etched in the wood on the inside (no idea if it's significant or not).

Thanks for your help!
Attachments
PXL_20211217_195946272a.jpg
PXL_20211217_200233692a.jpg
PXL_20211217_200312157a.jpg
geofflove

Re: Oliver Whales?

Post by geofflove »

There are many on here far more expert than me so you’ll want to hear from them but there’s nothing jumping out to me to suggest it’s something else.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Backflash not original, perhaps. :!?!:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The lack of a top glass, as you suggest, is odd for a '50s Oliver Whales allwin. I wonder if it's been chopped down or re-cased. The wood seems to match, but there's a wide gap to the left side. The door has an original lock, but the flash does look surprisingly flat. Is it a screen-printed original or a laminated photocopy? I'm not sure what the three holes (see below) and chain attached to the middle payout release lever are about...
Attachments
holes.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I think it must be a repro backflash, the artwork is shrunken, note that the left hand instruction is well under the ball rail, which they never were from new, but always fit snuggly and easy to read in to the bottom left corner under the ball rail, and if this was an original plastic that shrank so much, why are there no rips and buckles around each cotter pin and gallery holes? Also never seen one with such a dark green used, looks dull compared to all other Whales artwork no matter what game. Also the whitewashed interior would suggest a revamp at some time as never seen that before on any original machines.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

pennymachines wrote:I'm not sure what the three holes (see below) and chain attached to the middle payout release lever are about...

No idea regarding chain Mr pm, but holes are for the screws that held the ball 'chamber box' and perspex covering (see pic) rather blurred photo but it does show the fixing screws
Attachments
OW mech.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Ah yes, so the tinwork on this one is also a bit odd.
pauljt71

Post by pauljt71 »

It certainly looks like an altered Whales cabinet. The exterior metal furnishings look correct too.