Play-Ball allwin question

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
ruggie26

Play-Ball allwin question

Post by ruggie26 »

I recently just purchased my first allwin and am trying to restore it. There was plexiglass between the ramp and felt backing. It did not look original. My question is, is the plexiglass supposed to be 4 or should it be removed? Also I attached a front and back photo. If there is something missing, please let me know.
And I did notice the finger rest is missing on the shooting lever. Any suggestions where to get a replacement?
Thank you
Attachments
PXL_20211228_200543284a.jpg
PXL_20211228_200600069.MPa.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Play-Ball allwin question

Post by pennymachines »

Hi, :WELCOME: and congrats on your new acquisition. !THUMBS!
I believe it has at some time (probably many years ago) been re-dressed to look more up-to-date. As you suggest, plastic over felt is an odd combination, but easier I suppose than removing and replacing the felt. What you have to decide, I suppose, is whether you wish to preserve its history by keeping it as is, or whether you want it to look like 100 other cloth-backed allwins.

Has anyone here heard of Ess Bee of Herne Bay?

The striker box attached by an upper flange is also a bit odd. I've only seen this on Shefras allwins, and suspect it has been fabricated to replace a damaged original. The striker should not protrude so far - see here for remedy.
ruggie26

Post by ruggie26 »

Thanks for the tip with the striker. So I installed a rubber and it no longer protrudes past the box but the ball won't go all the way around. I have tightened the spring. Not sure why this is happening?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

When the striker's in the released position, does it line up squarely against the ball? If not, this needs addressing first. If it lines up, you could try trimming off a bit of the rubber so the striker makes greater contact with the ball.
ruggie26

Post by ruggie26 »

Greased the shaft - much better now, simple fix.
Thank you for all the help.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Excellent! !!THUMBSX2!!
The finger rests are hard to source. Occasionally they may be sold as spares on ebay and elsewhere, otherwise it's a matter of finding someone with a metal lathe.
brianh

Post by brianh »

If it's the thumb stop there's one on eBay at the moment but it's a bit pricey if you don't need the other bits that are with it!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255228327408 ... SwdbVhkWG0
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

And here
Attachments
thumbstop-1.jpg