Tumbling Prices…

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
jimmycowman

Re: Tumbling Prices…

Post by jimmycowman »

As the year goes on do people think there's plenty of money about still to spend on old arcade games?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

jimmycowman wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:52 pm As the year goes on do people think there's plenty of money about still to spend on old arcade games?

I had the same conversation with Steve Hunt yesterday and both came to the conclusion that evidence has not shown this, but more importantly people will not want to see investments like pensions and cash in the bank devalue seen diving, e.g. pensions and money in the bank devalue and want a more secure investment.. I suspect it will be only those who are very short of cash who need to sell and others will see assets more of a long term security…
cjfenney

Post by cjfenney »

moonriver wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:30 pm Working Models, and Fortune Tellers certainly haven't tumbled in price, quite the opposite.
Thinking the exact same; had a good healthy budget for a machine or two at the Elephant House, outbid on everything! :cry:
scorpa163

Post by scorpa163 »

I don’t think prices are tumbling.
A Governor on EBay with 2 days to go, is just short of £2000!
Same seller has a Watling Bird of Paradise, just short of £4000! again with 2 days to go.
The Caille at £1500 seems good value and the best looking.
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Okay, maybe not tumbling but most have not increased for years save for a few machines. Sega bandits for £200. Allwins for £500. We were paying those sorts of prices 15 years ago.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Prices are tumbling, because instead of being extortionate, they're merely eye watering.
BP :o
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

badpenny wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:40 pm Prices are tumbling, because instead of being extortionate, they're merely eye watering.
BP :o
:HaHa:
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

cheeky wrote:Allwins for £500
I think not. A look at ebay today show the following asking prices.

Bryans elevenses £1800
Bryans Pilwin £1900
Oliver Whales £1200
Wonders £1210
1930s Allwin £700

I realise these are asking and not selling prices but it does give an indication that Allwins are no longer around the £500 price tag.
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

This hobby is becoming a hobby for the rich. I'm glad I'm not wanting to start collecting from the start. !!YABBADABBA!!
jra

Post by jra »

Or maybe just greed. A red Columbia bought yesterday in Cornwall for £550 now on sale on eBay for £1,900. Yikes!
JRA.
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

arrgee wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:36 am I realise these are asking and not selling prices but it does give an indication that Allwins are no longer around the £500 price tag.
Plenty around for £500.00. A lot of items are not selling although certain bumped up prices would suggest otherwise. There is still money around for certain machines - at the moment but many are recirculating very quickly. Colcon is probably the best real guide. 😉
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

There will always be chancers.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

jra wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:48 pmOr maybe just greed. A red Columbia bought yesterday in Cornwall for £550 now on sale on eBay for £1,900.
As BP says, mostly arm chancers and most likely just general dealers rather than slot collectors They will buy anything at a sale that they THINK is under priced then chance their arm with what they THINK is an attainable price. It usually isn't. It could just as easily been a George III stereogram, it's all the same to them.
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

Would there be any chance that the weak pound and the strong dollar is causing prices of American-made machines to rise, rather than tumble. I have seen some Jennings go for stratospheric prices recently, Governors, in particular. They are not rare and even ones with scabby chrome regularly make more than £1k now!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

treefrog wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:05 pm
jimmycowman wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:52 pm As the year goes on do people think there's plenty of money about still to spend on old arcade games?

I had the same conversation with Steve Hunt yesterday and both came to the conclusion that evidence has not shown this, but more importantly people will not want to see investments like pensions and cash in the bank devalue seen diving, e.g. pensions and money in the bank devalue and want a more secure investment.. I suspect it will be only those who are very short of cash who need to sell and others will see assets more of a long term security…

Clubconsoles, As per my comment above, people are realising cash is dodgy now. Even pensions and other paper investments. Security is in things you can touch and hold, not owned by a bank…
chris roadhog

Post by chris roadhog »

Prices certainly not tumbling at the Yorkshire Auction House! I looked at the slots on offer Thursday 29th and I wasn't excited by their condition.
In my opinion the prices achieved where high. I wonder if a Slotty bought them or a Mug Punter. !PUZZLED!
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Will the that Yorkshire auction be in Arena?
chris roadhog

Post by chris roadhog »

One would think so as Mr Pennymachines is usually on the case. ;-)
tim575

Post by tim575 »

Morphy has their online catalog out now for the November Advertising and Coin op. Not as much Penny Arcade as past auctions but one very interesting British fortune teller, you can expect we will run up the price of it in the US higher than it would fetch in the UK as usual for these Morphy auctions...and certain collectors...
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

What page in the Morphy catalog shows the British fortune teller?