Aristocrat Arcadian help

General vintage slot machine related topics.
pennypirate

Aristocrat Arcadian help

Post by pennypirate »

Hi Everyone,
I have an Aristocrat Arcadian and very little technical knowledge. I have previously managed to get the strip lights working by changing the starter motors.

There are two other issues with the machine. It works on new 1 pence pieces but is very temperamental and tends to reject a lot which it has done all the years I've had it. Can the sensitivity be tweeked by turning the screw near where the coin sits when fed into the machine before the handle is pulled or by another method?

Secondly, very recently the reels do not stop with the brakes and keep spinning until they stop in their own time. Don't know what's happened as they have been working fine until now? Could they have become disconnected from the brake mechanism by a rod or spring?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.
treefrog

Re: Aristocrat Arcadian Help

Post by treefrog »

Welcome,

Pennies changed to steel in 1987. Post that, if a magnet exists, which originally they did, they would jam and need rejecting. Also the post 2002 coins (fat queen head) can be thicker and affect payouts, so use older copper ones. I have thousands as I kept them for years for this reason.

Does the clock stop when the machine keeps spinning? May be old grease and needs a service.
pennypirate

Re: Aristocrat Arcadian help

Post by pennypirate »

Thanks for hint on pre 1980 pennies. I have singled out some oldies and they work. There is no whirring noise when the reels spin so I would think that the clock has become disconnected ?
The only thing I can think that may have been touched since the machine was last working perfectly is perhaps wiggling the metal rod in the bottom centre of the attached photo. Could that be a factor? I don't even know what the rod is for.
I can smell WD40 which I suspect the previous owner has sprayed years ago to lubricate this machine. Don't know if this could be a factor in gumming up machine as WD40 can be a dust magnet.

Thanks

Gordon
Attachments
Interor Arcadian photo
Interor Arcadian photo
treefrog

Re: Aristocrat Arcadian help

Post by treefrog »

Yes, so the rod is there to stop the fan on the clock; great idea only used on Aristocrats. It should be pulled out to let the clock fan spin. You will see it at the back.

I like WD40, great for breaking down hard grease and I will always use on parts that are gummed up. There are others that hate it. Problem with it is that you have to use regularly as it lubricates for short periods. I only used this on motorcycle chains for 18 years. Better than grease and wax, as it cleaned and lubricated. I just had to put it on once every week. Any grease on the coin slides can cause them to stick. !!THUMBSX2!!