Italian Ascot bandits

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
widget2k4

Astor Check-Mate

Post by widget2k4 »

Copied and merged from Firman Poinsettia and Astor Check-Mate identified - Site Admin.

20141112_173121.jpg

aristomatic

Elephant House Auctions

Post by aristomatic »

Posts split moved & merged - Site Admin.

I see the Elephant has some lots on the site for next couple of auctions. They have listed an Astor Check-mate as a prototype only one in existence (with an unless you know otherwise, caveat). There have been a number of threads here on the Italian Astor make machines, mostly on a less rare model and not on the rarer Hitop style Check-mate model. I am aware of two different options on the Checkmate, both non and twin jackpot. Interested to see if anyone here has either version, currently or previously owned. I know a senior member here certainty owned a blue twin jackpot model in 2012. I'm not sure if the Checkmate pictured in a thread here is the same machine he owned or a different example and or whether the one listed at auction is the same or another.

GP
Attachments
astorcheckmate red nonjackpot.jpg
astor checkmate twin jackpot version.jpg
astor checkmatetwinjackpot blue.jpg
astor checkmatetwinjackpot blue.jpg (2.35 KiB) Viewed 7222 times
aristomatic

Re: Elephant House Auctions

Post by aristomatic »

I see the Elephant House has now added a pix of the Checkmate for sale in the auction. It seems to be a non jackpot version, but has a chess symbol marquee/embossing to the top right corner and has different lower centre marquee to other non jackpot versions and, interestingly, has chess symbol reel-strips and a correlating chess symbol award card. All the other checkmate machines seem to have standard fruit symbol strips and awards. As the nameplate is 'checkmate' on all versions, it seems appropriate that it has chess artwork. If the top right chess symbol is stamped within the casting you would either expect to see maybe a few more examples (now) if done as a special customer option, or many more if it was a standard production item. With maybe only one or a few (made at the time) if done as a prototype(s) then the Elephant House
may well be correct in its perceived rarity presently.

As with most slot/coin-op history, you need direct input from people associated with family or the business or linked commercially with first hand experience/history/knowledge to assist. Regardless of its rarity, it's not on my wanted list. I didn't upload the Elephant Auction image as copyrighted (moderators may do so).
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Well it took a little time, but here is a picture of a machine with the same chess symbol, although the reel bundle and award card are fruits not chess symbols as E/H.
Attachments
unknownastorcastlefruitreels.jpg
unknownastorcastlefruitreels.jpg (12.39 KiB) Viewed 7086 times
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

aristomatic wrote: I didn't upload the Elephant Auction image as copyrighted (moderators may do so).
I'll try to get a snap of it on Sunday. !!PHOTO!!
aristomatic

Re: Italian Ascot Bandits

Post by aristomatic »

I didn't go to the auction. I was told the Checkmate had no back bonnet or back-door,
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Yes you are right, neither of them were present and not mentioned in the description either, so all the bidding was not in the room but by people leaving commission bids, probably not knowing the missing parts..... Oh dear... I would have had a go, as it had original paint and I quite liked the look, but in my opinion worth half what it went for. I think £280 + commission... You won't find the missing bits that easy, if at all. !!UHOH!!
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Thanks TF.
I agree. As I said earlier, it's not on my list of machines, but I would have been none too pleased if the winning bidder. It's easy to get these details confirmed prior to an auction, but far more difficult to get a response from the Elephant prior to one of their auctions, so I have never left an absentee bid.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Checkmate-1.jpg

Checkmate-2.jpg

Checkmate-3.jpg

aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

thx for pix
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Another example, for the record - this one on a Polaroid marked Lot 1048, 13 Oct. sale. Not sure what year it was but I don't think Dickinson, Davy & Markham hold auctions now.
Attachments
ascot.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

This one currently standing at £628 in the Netherlands.
From a Belgian Café in Antwerp with (very special) the authorisation from 1966 on the side a rare Astor Check-Mate one-armed bandit, Italian manufacturer from the 1950s / 60s which has served for years in Belgium.
Attachments
Astor.jpg
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

I did see this one for sale and he is asking 950 pounds for it. It’s a nice model but the paint looked horrible to me. Should there be chess symbols on the strips? It’s now at 700 and not reached reserve yet.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Of the one's seen so far, only the blue/grey example at the EH had those unusual chess symbols, but that one was missing back-bonnet etc.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

There is currently an Astor mech for sale on Ebay; might be of use to somebody on here who has a case or needs parts. Not sure how far the corrosion goes on it, probably just surface rust.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-ASCO ... SwnMRdJI78
Attachments
Astor-mech-a.jpg
Astor-mech6a.jpg
Astor-mech5a.jpg
Astor-mech4a.jpg
Astor-mech3a.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Funny the Elephant house machine is up again, two trips at auction and a few owners since, still not working and no hood or door and double the price on eBay.

90C0688D-EF24-4C12-853D-9A88DB038328.jpeg
90C0688D-EF24-4C12-853D-9A88DB038328.jpeg (43.31 KiB) Viewed 4691 times

I suspect Italy would be the easiest place to get parts as they are more common there, only problem is the Italian market is crazy and full of dreamers. You so often see Sega light ups from Britain with price tags in excess of £1500, they seem to multiply everything by three.

I did find a sales site there where there are a number of Astor’s for sale of a variety of models including the Checkmate... I quite like them, but not at the asking prices. Suspect the Italian market is where to sell this machine.
Attachments
DA09EDF8-0D6C-40D2-93A6-A76C59B9C3A5a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Ascot Super De Luxe Jackbar for sale in Italy.
Attachments
intondo-slot-machine-ascot-super-de-luxe-jackbar-old-bandit-1.jpg
intondo-slot-machine-ascot-super-de-luxe-jackbar-old-bandit-3.jpg
intondo-slot-machine-ascot-super-de-luxe-jackbar-old-bandit-4.jpg
intondo-slot-machine-ascot-super-de-luxe-jackbar-old-bandit-5.jpg
bert

Ascot Super De Luxe Jackbar

Post by bert »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Hello All
I have buy this Ascot but I'm looking for a manual and parts list.
Attachments
20211225_182803_resizeda.jpg
coppinpr

Re: Ascot Super De Luxe Jackbar

Post by coppinpr »

I doubt you will find either. I do have parts if you need any. !THUMBS!
bert

Re: Ascot Super De Luxe Jackbar

Post by bert »

Thank you for the information.