Circus model supplied by Shefras

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
coppinpr

Circus model supplied by Shefras

Post by coppinpr »

I had a request on my website for info on the aged looking machine with a Philip Shefras supply plate. The description displayed next to the machine is as follows
This fascinating exhibit appears to have developed out of the ‘ombro-cinema’ system that first appeared in France around 1913-14. It consists of a fabric ‘panorama’, which rotates in a circular fashion, from left to right, when cranked by a handle. This panorama is back-lit and projected on to a screen which is part of a circus ‘décor’. It has a coin slot, and the upper part of the device has the number 138. From the middle until the end of the 19th century, a great many projection systems with original names were developed in England, such as the panoptikon, eidoloscope etc, until the more completely integrated kinetoscope and mutascope made their appearance. At the same time, along with the practice of viewing scenes in a cinematographic “dark room”, viewing in places such as amusement parks also became popular, with image-projection devices, usually including musical accompaniment, which functioned like slot-machines.
How this machine got to its present location would be a story in itself for it is housed in the "The Greek Film Museum and Archive" in the middle of Athens. :o
The machine is being restored by the museum conservator and he would like any info on the make, date and construction.
Does anyone know anything at all about this interesting looking machine?
Attachments
shef-1.jpg
shef-3.jpg
shef-2.jpg
moonriver

Re: ID wanted for unusual machine supplied by Shefras

Post by moonriver »

Lovely artwork. Would be nice to see the mechanism.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

There must be a record of this machine somewhere. The artwork is clearly British (note the church and house in the background). I will ask the guy for photos of the mech.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Looks very much like a one off to me. Very nice though.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Paul Braithwaite's book lists SHEFRAS AUTOMATICS Ltd. as being in business from 1933 to 1938 in London. He states "The Shefras Novelty Co. was abandoned in 1933 when Solomon Shefras formed this new company with sons Morris and Philip as Directors." The machines listed for the company are "British Electric Grip, Punchball and Selectric." Nothing here to suggest that they produced any sort of viewer. It is possible that they were just distributors for the item. A picture of the supply plate might provide further clues including the address of the business.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

A couple of things that struck me: the coin slot was an Essex type (now missing) and the cabinet looks to be no earlier than 1930s, possibly quite a bit later. However, the mechanism is 'cranked by a handle' (also missing or hidden), which suggests something more antique. My guess is that Philip Shefras (or some other company) adapted/rehoused an earlier device to produce this coin-operated diorama. It would be great to see a video of it in action.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I did say in the opening post that it carries a Philip Shafras supply plate, but I should have shown it, so here it is. This plate dates from 1951 onwards and I agree the machine is earlier than that. Is it possible the machine was sitting around in stock or storage from the earlier Shafras family business? (the school kids in the artwork look 30's + to me.
I've asked the guy for more photos including the mech and he now has permission from the museum governors to take some so watch this space.
Attachments
20210811_222625-(2)a.jpg
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

IMG_4996a.jpg

pennymachines wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:38 pm A couple of things that struck me: the coin slot was an Essex type (now missing) and the cabinet looks to be no earlier than 1930s, possibly quite a bit later. However, the mechanism is 'cranked by a handle' (also missing or hidden), which suggests something more antique.
I have a coin op rotating diorama. The coin operates a timer that lights up the interior and vibrates a moving panel on the floor at the front. When each different scene with its suspended characters appear, (cranked by the handle), as soon as the figure's feet touch the vibrating floor they either dance, or in the case of the bucking bronco the cowboy rides very realistically, or in the boxing scene the two boxers turn, punch and fight each other. The cranked handle at the front is a sure fire recipe for disaster in an operating environment, and shows a certain amount of naivety in design since in the wrong hands could very easily wreck the piece by turning the handle too fast.

When I get around to restoring it I'm going to make it motor driven and disconnect the handle. It will be interesting to see if that's what has happened with this model.
Another thing that I noticed is that the blue and cream paintwork of the cabinet is quite similar to that of some Bolland models.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

moonriver wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:26 pmI have a coin op rotating diorama. The coin operates a timer that lights up the interior and vibrates a moving panel on the floor at the front
It wouldn't surprise me if this machine is exactly the same as yours as far as the mechanics go! Do you know who made yours?
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

My attached pic uploaded on its side in error (corrected - Site Admin). It is a Bolland Haunted House and I'm only demonstrating a similar colour scheme.

My other machine with the crank handle is completely different from the Greek Film Museum machine and a one off US made machine. Really the point I was making is that of the folly of putting an operating handle on the front that has any direct drive to the mechanism without the protection of significant gearing down such as on the R&W racers.

I'm guessing there is a turntable within the circular tent that has back lit silhouettes of circus animals passing by the back of the material at the front of the tent. I'm looking forward to the big reveal!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I'm also looking forward to the revealing of the mystery although the description that is attached to the machine at present hints that it uses a development of the Ombro-cinema system which would make it a barrier grid animation but I don't see how a barrier grid could be projected on to the canvas... We shall see... I hope.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

coppinpr wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:04 pm ...I don't see how a barrier grid could be projected on to the canvas...
Back projection barrier grid systems for stereoscopic movies were developed in the '30s - '50s (e.g. the Cyclostéréoscope). If this machine does employ the Ombro-cinema system, I would expect to see some kind of drum-shaped grid behind the tent fabric with a rotating translucent loop of film behind this (carrying the images), and a light source behind that. The images wouldn't be very sharp, with no lens to focus them on the canvas.

coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I would expect to see some kind of drum-shaped grid behind the tent fabric with a rotating translucent loop of film
personally, I don't think it would be as advanced as to use the later film versions of the Ombro-cinema system but an improved version of the original alternating static cards, this is after all a shadow show seen through a canvas tent,
I just hope the guy comes through with the photos to prove or disprove all our theories :lol:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I have now received the additional photos from the museum curator. I will attempt to post them here just as they were sent to me so you will have to allow for his English. I have answered some of his questions. Some are unanswerable but any and all info and thoughts on the machine will be greatly appreciated.

Figure 1: Circus tent partly restored:
Picture1a.jpg

Figure 2: View from the back showing the figures:
Picture2a.jpg

Figure 3: The mechanism:
Picture3b.jpg

Figure 4: The mechanism and the spot where the missing motor was placed:
Picture4b.jpg

Practically, I am looking for ANY kind of information than can be found about the item. Also, I am interested in finding out if there are any other same or similar to it items. This is very important because it will help us to find out about the missing parts. And for last but very important, the item seems to have two phases the “Shefras phase: that involves the case, the base and the frontal wood in the base of the circus where the slot is placed. The second phase is the circus with some “Shefras” adjustments.

Here are some more specific questions to begin with and focus on….
Missing parts:

1. There is missing the ornament placed on top of the wood that served as a slot for the coins. This is the picture. What could this be? Does the trace indicate that this could be something that was widely used in Shefras’s slot machines or not?
Picture5a.jpg

2. There are four holes that indicate that there was a protective frame /glass(?) at the case of the circus. What could this be?
Picture6a.jpg

3. There is missing the motor that was used to move the mechanism. What kind of motor could the original be? The motor is more likely to be connected with the first phase of the circus so searching the “Shefras” ground for it needs some attention.
Also, can you recognize what is the “box” next to the missing motor at Figure 3. Is it the timer or is it something like a dimer that adjusts the moving speed?

Plastic Knitting needles.
The four columns/supports of the circus, are red plastic knitting needles adjusted to fit the spot. Do you know when they were manufactured and of what kind of plastic they used to make them? For example, polystyrene or polyethylene
Picture9ba.jpg

This is the circus without the mechanism these pieces of wood near the cloth, serve as obstacles that give a vertical movement to the figures while moving roundly.
Picture8ba.jpg

The materials.
The base, the case and the frontal wood of the circus are made out of mahogany. This must be characteristic of the “Shefras” making.
The circus is made out of spruce.

The name.
These types of items that present a spectacle are included in the “Automata” category?
The term Automata is more connected with the term automatic or mechanical?
Picture11ba.jpg

2. There were also found three paper hands while working on the item. Perhaps this is a clue to lead to the “Circus” phase maker. The picture below shows one of these. They are not connected with the figures of this item since they are made out of wood and don’t seem to miss any part.
Picture10ba.jpg

Picture12ba.jpg
Picture12ba.jpg (31.19 KiB) Viewed 787 times

2. There is this ornament nailed on the base of the circus. Perhaps it is connected with the earlier “Circus” phase.
It is written: “GOOD FOR ??EE PLAY ON MA??INE” and the number 138 is in the middle of the circle.
Picture13a.jpg

Picture14a.jpg

(this part is not mentioned in the file sent to e Paul)

The “Circus” phase
Picture7a.jpg

Since Shefras is known for remodeling items, I am very interesting to find information’s about the “Circus” before it became a “Shefras” slot machine.
Is it possible to make any connection with makers using the models of the figures as a clue?
Where?
For last and for now, I would like to ask if an amusement park is the natural environment for this slot machine at the “Shefras” phase, or where else could they be placed to operate.
Also, is an amusement park also a natural environment for the earlier “Circus” phase too?

Books
Are there any books on the subject that you could suggest?

Thank you very much
Looking forward for your reply
Best regards
K. Topalidou

P.S. I am sorry for my English, I hope this text makes sense.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

coppinpr wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:06 am I have answered some of his questions. Some are unanswerable but any and all info and thoughts on the machine will be greatly appreciated.
Have you given K. Topalidou a link to this topic?
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

“GOOD FOR ??EE PLAY ON MA??INE”

"Good for free play on machine."

J Peterson
American sleuth
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Yes, clearly a play token, yet another use for them, I've seen them as washers, weights on bandit clocks, spacers and .........tokens! I'm going to suggest he removes the token to see the reverse side, Shafras had their name on the reverse but it's just possible its pre Shafras and might shed some light on the earlier machine (but I doubt it) :#:
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

moonriver wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:20 am I'm guessing there is a turntable within the circular tent that has back lit silhouettes of circus animals passing by the back of the material at the front of the tent. I'm looking forward to the big reveal!
Now that's a pretty close guess! It looks like the 'crank handle' was a red herring. The Essex coin slide is missing from the hole. The rheostat is original and was there for adjusting the motor speed ( it wouldn't have had a rheostat if it had ever had a crank handle). The small wooden blocks screwed to the circular disc base make the silhouette figures move as the levers pass over them and the circus performers move in front of the light source ( the existing lamp is a replacement and the original was much bigger). The motor would have had a small spur gear drive from the gearbox directly onto the large gear wheel above the carousel.
As far as the run time, as the model doesn't have a run sequence it would need just a basic timer. I have even seen some models before with Essex coin slides fitted with a push in Bakelite pneumatic switch to start and stop the motor.
The circus figures are well made and have a nice mix of movements. It's a very nice model, shame it's over there, but glad it's appreciated and going to be well cared for.
brigham

Post by brigham »

Is it a 'domestic' toy, with a crank handle, made into a coin-op by an ingenious arcade operator?
It certainly happened with Pelham Puppets.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

It's massive, far too big for a domestic toy.