Allwin Deluxe backflash

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Allwin Deluxe backflash

Post by badpenny »

The definition of backlash is an intense or sudden reaction. If the response of the public to the politicians' actions was to stage huge protests, then that would be an example of a backlash.
An allwin backflash is the decorative field the ball travels against.
I have never attempted to replace one without taking off all of the furniture, I don't think it would be possible.

I think the confusion here lies between how I use Replace and Refit.

BP
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

BP, do you spend all day looking for errors that a normal spell checker will always make? what a sad day it must be just trying to belittle people. My spell checker ALWAYS replaces backflash with backlash (its just done it now) I sometimes correct it sometimes I don't because I assume people will realise what happened,but I wouldn't want to spoil your fun, sad as it is.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

You will receive a pm from me some time today.
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

gameswat wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:20 pm My assumption was the photo was just an example of what he needed because that obviously was perfect.......
This is a closer look at the wear in the backflash, my choice is to replace it.
Attachments
FD6DA03D-6699-4278-BCE6-16F33E9D6E7C.jpeg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

geordy55 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:11 pm my choice is to replace it.
!OMFG! That certainly doesn't mean it's not a frickin stupid choice! Please please go and buy a ratty buggered machine with cracked and ruined backflash and then inflict your will on that one, and sell this on to a collector who cares. They rarely survive as nice as this!!!!! When it comes down to it we collect them for the original makers work, not any modern day "restorers" touch. If you really are such a perfectionist that you just can not live in the same world as this machine but have to keep it, then just delicately paint over the affected area, so that a future owner can possibly (hopefully) undo your work (Which I've thankfully been able to do hundreds of times!!). Please do what is best for the machine, not you.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

geordy55 - your machine looks great, even with the slight wear mark on the backflash. Leave it as is, it adds character and tells of a life in service. What about the cabinet? Do you intend to bring the wood back as new and remove the decades of wear, bumps and grease marks that indicate that this machine is already a lovely 80+ year old veteran that does not require a face lift?
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Some people like what is generally called ‘patina’. Unfortunately I’m not one of them. You wouldn’t keep an old car in a worn and scratched condition or call it patina and I don’t see the difference. If I can restore a machine to a condition it might have been in when it was new then that’s my preferred choice. If someone wants to make me an offer to take it off my hands and keep the patina, then feel free to do so.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

geordy55 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:19 pm Some people like what is generally called ‘patina’. Unfortunately I’m not one of them.
Nothing unfortunate about that geordy.
I sit firmly in both camps.
I enjoy a machine that looks as if it has just been removed from the line up in my Uncle's arcade.
I also have a half dozen that are show stoppers.
It's a good job we are not all the same, just like the machines really.

BP :cool:
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

I second that opinion, BP. As Mark Twain observed, it is the difference of opinion that makes for horse races. !!HOBBYHORSE!!

J Peterson
Nagging along, USA
brigham

Post by brigham »

geordy55 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:19 pm ...You wouldn’t keep an old car in a worn and scratched condition or call it patina...
You clearly haven't seen my Morris Cowley...