Stuntman Mutoscope

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
elle-elle

Stuntman Mutoscope

Post by elle-elle »

Hello everyone,
Trying to find ANY info on the film (Card reel) of the Mutoscope machine that I just purchased.
It is titled “The Stuntman”
Would like to find out who the stuntman was?
Heard a rumour that the stuntman was killed in a non related stunt when he was changing the tire of a car for a woman and was hit by a passing truck.
Possible last name was “Neilson or Nilsson” not sure. 1910
Thank you !PUZZLED!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Stuntman Mutoscope

Post by pennymachines »

Hi elle-elle, and :WELCOME:
That's not easy to answer and demands more knowledge of the history of mutoscope reel production than I have. The first question that occurs to me is whether your reel would have been produced as original content by the American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, or whether by 1910 they were using some content cut down from film shorts. If the latter, it may have been titled differently. That might explain why Google and IMDb return no direct hits for "The Stuntman" 1910

It may help if you can describe the actions depicted. What stunt is performed? Out of interest, where did you get the 1910 date?
elle-elle

Post by elle-elle »

Hello,
You're 100% correct with the “Cut from a movie” and “Not the same title” I believe.
The 1910 thing came from the guy that I bought the machine from. He was told the stuntman was not very famous but worked from the 1910s.
I bought the machine from a collector and museum owner here in Australia (have not picked up yet). The main scene or stunt is the stuntman hanging from an airplane and transferring to a boat. I need to watch it again as it's been a year since I saw it.
I have a museum which is about to open “Stuntman & Daredevil Hall of Fame, Australia” which covers everything from the B/W days to the present & everything in between.
Attachments
70B5D790-C8C9-4725-A00B-C8AD38C30529a.jpg
A2F5A6E2-09A5-4FF6-A375-64FCE906F892a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

In Imperiled at Sea, the third episode of the 1923 serial Haunted Valley, Ruth Roland is seen to perform a stunt like that. Her body-double/stuntman was Bob Rose, who began his career around 1917.
Attachments
1024px-Haunted_Valley_3.jpg
bobrose_2.jpg
elle-elle

Post by elle-elle »

Once I get hold of the machine I will take more photos of the different cards (Scenes) which will hopefully help identify this movie.
Thank you so much for your help so far !!THUMBSX2!!