Jennings Indian Heads (just the heads)

General vintage slot machine related topics.
steinslots

Jennings Indian Heads (just the heads)

Post by steinslots »

Very recently I've noticed a few "original" Jennings Indian brass heads (originally from the front of a Jennings Governor) go on Ebay for up to £650, and purportedly made of bronze!
I remember paying a lot less than that for a whole machine (back in the day) and anyway I've always known them to be brass, or plated brass.
It amuses me that these "people" who see an incorrectly described, overpriced item and assume their junk is worth loads. It almost follows a pattern!
(But if it turns out they ARE made of bronze and worth loads I shall remove the Jennings Head from my car bonnet and flog it on Ebay!).

While I'm on the subject I might as well moan about the increasing amount of "eye candy" for sale in so-called "antique/collectables" shops.
I'm talking about modern stuff which has been deliberately engineered to appear "authentic". These people have identified "desirable" objects and mass produced the heck out of them, like for instance enamel signs, copies of old posters in old looking frames, old-looking electrical stuff made to look authentic, bunches of old looking keys, and even fake pre-aged Fender guitars with fake serial number (available on Alibaba!).
Of course most of us slotties have an eye for detail and can spot things like casting marks, hinges, rivets, staples, workmanship etc from the wrong era, but trying to convince my kids to be wise of these tricks is another thing!
Attachments
104431005_3333084033419852_2795445256146579147_na.jpg
treefrog

Re: Jennings Indian Heads (just the heads)

Post by treefrog »

Good question on metal. I would guess brass, based on colour… and yes, a lot of chancers out there, also a load of repro stuff. People are painting on mirrors for famous brands or shop cabinets, making up adverts in light boxes in their hundreds pretending to be originals. It used to be bad enough with repro enamel signs and posters etc… You need your eyes in the back of your head…
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

When it comes to the Jennings heads ...
Original ones have 3 holes underneath
Repros only one.

Yes they should be brass, although it seems acrylic is now available ... :o
steinslots

Post by steinslots »

treefrog wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:31 am Good question on metal. I would guess brass, based on colour… and yes, a lot of chancers out there, also a load of repro stuff. People are painting on mirrors for famous brands or shop cabinets, making up adverts in light boxes in their hundreds pretending to be originals. It used to be bad enough with repro enamel signs and posters etc… You need your eyes in the back of your head…
There was an antique shop near me where they were getting perfectly good furniture, (including French polished cabinets), beating them with chains to "distress" them, then painting them in weird ladies toilet colours. And as for lamps, jeez, Dave Gorman has it sussed!