American "Duncan Parking Meter"

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

American "Duncan Parking Meter"

Post by badpenny »

Over the years I've tried more than once to achieve something with an old parking meter.
Apart from sticking a broken one on a bit of scaffold pole and shoving it in the back garden, I failed miserably.
The ex Brighton & Hove ones being sold through Exchange & Mart at the time were salt air damaged, no locks and described as “working perhaps”.

Very recently I went over to visit an old mate (fellow collector) who shall remain nameless. Anyway Carl Stein and I go back ages, but see each other rarely these days. I sat down and before we said anything he produced a working Parking Meter on a small stand. Plonking it down in front of me he inserted a shilling and wound the handle ….
“Right” he said “15 minutes, now what do you want to discuss?”

Suddenly my interest was rekindled!

It took a few months but I tracked down an American Duncan Meter. It had locks, it worked and was exactly as it was the day it was removed off the streets and wrapped in a cardboard box.
s-l200.jpg
s-l200.jpg (10.43 KiB) Viewed 1550 times

I also had access to a small cast iron stand.

s-l1600.jpg

So a spot of rattly can, a quick blast of home made water transfers and a first time dabble at Hydro Dipping.
Now ….
IMG_3306.JPG

IMG_3309.JPG

aristomatic

Re: American "Duncan Parking Meter"

Post by aristomatic »

Great looking pail BP
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Great job. I like it. Looks a bit like a device for contacting alien life forms from a 1950s sci-fi movie, but that's most likely the stand giving that impression. !TRANSFORM!
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Install on a pole next to the roadway in front of your home, BP, and start making some real money.

J Peterson
Time expired, USA
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Looks great. I've go a double one that I've been meaning to do something with for years.
Attachments
20220629_130833a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

aristomatic wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:54 am Great looking pail BP
Not sure I agree, isn't it a bit of a pale pail?
special when lit wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:13 pm Looks great. I've go a double one that I've been meaning to do something with for years.
For parking in stereo Gazza?

coppinpr wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:31 am Great job. I like it. Looks a bit like a device for contacting alien life forms from a 1950s sci-fi movie, but that's most likely the stand giving that impression. !TRANSFORM!
I think I was trying to go for a bit of a hybrid/sentient look ... wtf that means. !PUZZLED!

john t peterson wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:26 am Install on a pole next to the roadway in front of your home, BP, and start making some real money.
I'm in enough trouble with the local council without sensible ideas as well. !!UHOH!!